First Year Academy

Are you transferring to a 4-year school? Wake Tech’s First Year Academy (FYA) is dedicated to promoting student success by teaching strategies that help students achieve their educational goals.

FYA Fun Fact:fya

A Student Reflection on the Benefits of Taking ACA 122 (College Transfer Success Course) – Noah Luxford, Associate in Arts Student, Communications Major

Having to transfer between different colleges is a huge pain, and I really took the hardest route imaginable. I started my freshman year at an out-of-state private university, transferred for my sophomore year to Wake Tech and am currently working to transfer to an in-state UNC system school. Taking ACA has really helped me understand all I need to do in order to successfully make the right choices for me, whether it’s choosing a major, future career, or even the right school. Just by talking to my instructors and picking their brain on any thoughts I may have had, has helped me gain a better understanding and has allowed me to see things from different points of view.

FYA Student Success Tips:

Need a tip for being successful in College? Try one of the tips below from fellow students!

Choosing Classes – Stahling, Associate in Science Student, Biochemistry Major

Don’t take classes that are not in your interest or field of study.  I tend to not do well in classes that I am not interested in.

College Resources – Matt Lusuriello, Associate in Arts Student, Business Major
Stay ahead by taking advantage of all on campus and off campus resources like the ILC, Blackboard, and instructors office hours.

Time Management Tip – Chad Marshall, Associate in Arts Student, English Major
The best way to manage time is to use a planner to remind you which assignments are due before the deadline.  This will help maintain stress levels throughout the semester. By devoting time to your academics, you will find more time to relax.

Time Management – Kinley Cook, Associate in Arts, Communications Major
Using a planner is extremely helpful.  I color code and use checkboxes to track my progress!