Sarah Allevato: Top 5 Scholarship Tips

Wake Tech graduate, Sarah Allevato was recently featured on WRAL after she won the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship.  What’s the secret to Sarah’s success?  Read along for her Top 5 Scholarship Tips…

1. Write Passionately—the best way to stand out from the rest is to write with lots of emotion and authenticity. It doesn’t matter how amazing your personal statement is, if it’s not able to evoke empathy then the judges will forget it.
  2. Don’t Underestimate yourself—A lot of people are deterred from writing scholarships because they think their personal story, or journey, is not good enough to deserve a scholarship. I can say with confidence that your story is enough. In the end, it’s really not even about what you write, but how you write it.
  3. Have all your essays proofread—What I really struggled with was grammar. I could write endless pages of quality content right off the top of my head, but I made so many grammatical errors, like comma splices and run-on sentences, that it overshadowed my work. So, I had every essay checked for grammatical and spelling errors by my school tutors. This is a must if you want to write a winning essay.
  4. Find your scholarships through a scholarship listing website—For me, it was easy finding scholarships because they were all in one place. I used the website: https://jlvcollegecounseling.com/ to find scholarships to apply to. This website has the option of filtering scholarships by deadline. I would usually apply for scholarships that had a deadline that was at least two weeks out.
  5. Never Give Up— It might take a long time and a lot of rejection letters before you win a scholarship, for me it took 7 months and 72 rejection letters, but when you do win, the time and effort will be well worth it. After all, a winner is only a loser who tried one more time.

3 thoughts on “Sarah Allevato: Top 5 Scholarship Tips

1. The best place to discover solid data about grants will dependably be the University official site. They will have a devoted Financial Aid FinAid area, wherein every one of the grants accessible at the University for the understudies is recorded.